Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Reservist.

I have been a PES E personnel since the day I registered for my National Service. Being a PES E personnel means that you are excused from all forms of physical activity in the force. Usually that would mean, you ended up being an administrative clerk for some people they would envy people like us, saying that we have a very cushy life.

For myself, I have never viewed National Service as a citizen's obligation but my right and honour to serve my country in a military defense capacity, to be a real man. When I started my stint as a clerk in MINDEF, I was a little disappointed being poseted so far from my home to do administrative.

That disappointment soon turned to a huge challenge as I soon realised that the job in store for me was not a mere administrative role. It was a one of great importance as it helps to shape the career path of many regular servicemen in the force.

I disrupted after 2 years and went to to pursue my studies. After 4 years I went back to the Army to serve the remainder of the NS term in a small unit with no gfreat contributions whatsoever. And I thought that would be the end of my involvement in NS.

2 years after I ORDed, I received a letter to go back for reservist. I was puzzled at first as most PES E personnel are not called back.

So here I am, well into the third week of my ICT, and feeling more proud then ever to be able to serve my country in a greater capacity than ever.

I may not be able to serve with my body, but I can serve with my mind and my spirit.

2 comments:

Lim Wee Shan said...

!!! u got called back for reservist??? jiuwo. means i can be called back too?

found ur blog from mama's blog. remb me ba? how have u been? so long no hear.

Unknown said...

no kidding!!